Palazzo Lauritano: History
Palazzo Lauritano rises in a symbol location of the ancient settlements that characterized the lush Agerola valley, from Roman times up to today’s times.
In the subsoil of this territory, some ruins of the Imperial Age were discovered from which emerged the first houses of the farmhouse of Caput de Pendolo (today’s San Lazzaro), in the centuries where the nearby town of Amalfi, became an autonomous Dukedom, dominating much of the trade Mediterranean and giving economic pulse to all neighboring places. Then Lauritano Family, an enterprising family who lived in Agerola since 1125, built its residences here so that the Dynasty of Lauritano was born.
The surname Lauritano attests that the family was originally from Laurito, a hamlet of Positano, and to these origins, renewed by sea trade even after the transfer to Agerola, seem to refer the dolphins that appear in the pictorial decoration inside Palazzo Lauritano.
Palazzo Lauritano today appears to us with the dimensions and forms it took from the 17th to 18th centuries when, surrounded by other family buildings, it was one of the most beautiful manor houses in the Amalfi Coast. It was Don Carlo Lauritano, in the 17th century, to add to the family house a chapel, which still is there it today. From what he says in his will, it seems that the little church was built after the familiar mourning with the plague of 1656. This explains the choice to name the chapel in San Cristoforo, the protector of the scourges, as well as the patron saint of the sailors.
About a century later, the palace was restored by Don Domenico Lauritano, one of the richest inhabitants of Agerola of the time and then appealed as Magnificent to the Real Estate Registry Carolino of 1752. Meanwhile, Pietro Lauritano was a notary in Naples and the family erected an own altar in the parish church of San Lazzaro. The prestige enjoyed by the family in the country is finally attested by the fact that three of its members were elected mayors between 1793 and 1884.